FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
PRIVACY PROTECTION POLICY
At Fairmont Hotels & Resorts we stress the importance of privacy and are committed to earning the trust of our guests by adopting high standards for the protection of personal information.
Our policy outlines the type of personal information we collect and receive, the circumstances in which we collect or receive personal information, the policies and procedures we have established outlining its use and storage, and for sharing certain types of personal information in certain limited circumstances, the procedures you should follow if you have any questions or requests in respect of your personal information or our policies and procedures and the person to whom such questions or requests should be directed, and the means by which to communicate with that person.
In this policy 'Fairmont Hotels & Resorts' means Fairmont Hotels Inc. and its affiliated companies, as they may exist from time to time, which include, without limitation, the subsidiaries which carry on business that use the following names: Fairmont, Fairmont Hotels and Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. The words 'we' and 'Fairmont Hotels & Resorts' do not include third party hotel owners or third parties involved in the delivery of services, however we have requested such hotel owners and third party suppliers to abide by the terms of our Privacy Protection Policy.
In this policy, personal information means information about you that is personally identifiable like your name, address, e-mail address or phone number, and that is not otherwise publicly available and is not part of your work identification.
It also includes information on guest preferences and usage, when such information is supplied to or recorded by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts in the course of transacting business with an individual.
The Privacy Protection Policy does not apply to information regarding Fairmont Hotels & Resorts corporate customers. However, such information is protected by other Fairmont Hotels & Resorts policies and practices and through contractual arrangements.
HOW YOU MAY PROVIDE US YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
1. By making a reservation or by using Fairmont Hotels & Resorts services.
2. By registering with Fairmont Hotels & Resort's loyalty program, President's Club.
3. By registering on the Everyone’s an Original website.
4. By providing it to us in communications regarding service delivery such as comment cards.
5. By providing the information to us by participating in a marketing initiative.
6. By visiting our website.
Below we will outline the type of information normally collected in each of these circumstances, the reasons for doing so, how we will use it and store it.
MAKING A RESERVATION
When making a reservation or using Fairmont Hotels & Resorts services it is necessary to have information in order to identify you, contact you and to process your purchase and requests. This information usually includes your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, credit card number and expiration date, and language preference. It may also include, if you choose to share that information with us, your preferences regarding the delivery of your service such as type of room, type of bed, and the like. You may wish to have your purchase of Fairmont Hotels & Resorts' services recognized in a third party's loyalty program with which Fairmont Hotels & Resorts has a relationship. To do so will require you providing us certain verification information such as your membership number in the third party program. We also offer special discounts from time to time that may have qualifying criteria. Sometimes we offer special offers to, for example, seniors or for children. To assess your eligibility and process your reservation correctly, we need to record your date of birth at the time of booking. You may be required to provide personal identification with your date of birth in order to verify this upon check-in.
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a family of management companies that manage hotels for third party owners. Your personal information is shared with the third party owner of the hotel where you intend to stay and those of its employees involved in delivering the service to you to the extent necessary for them to do so and to process the transaction. All hotels that are managed by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts are required to agree to abide by the terms of this Privacy Protection Policy.
From time to time, we offer packages or other services that involve third parties. If you are partaking of such a package or service, your personal information will be shared with that third party to the extent necessary to provide that service and process the purchase or request.
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts may use the information you provide to send you offers and information about Fairmont Hotels & Resorts services and those of select third parties. Your information will not be given to these third parties but rather the offer of the third party will be provided to Fairmont Hotels & Resorts which will manage the distribution.
If you do not wish to receive such offers and information you may unsubscribe or opt-out by sending an email to Fairmont@fairmontmarketing.com, using the subject line "Unsubscribe", so indicating your request with sufficient personal identifiers so we can appropriately act on your request. All our marketing communication of this type will also contain instructions for unsubscribing.
REGISTERING WITH FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS' LOYALTY PROGRAM, FAIRMONT PRESIDENT'S CLUB
As a customer of Fairmont Hotels & Resorts you have the opportunity to belong to its loyalty program, Fairmont President's Club. Fairmont President's Club is designed to deliver a higher level of personalization and service, additional personal information will be required. Membership is voluntary. By choosing to enroll you have consented to the supply of and use of your personal information as more particularly outlined in the President's Club Terms and Conditions. Please click here to view the Fairmont President's Club Terms and Conditions.
REGISTERING ON THE EVERYONE’S AN ORIGINAL WEBSITE
Individuals interested in sharing their experiences at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts may wish to do so through our Everyone’s an Original website. Although registration is not required to view the site, it is required to enable sharing and other functions on that website. The personal information you provide during registration is used to validate your identity and to enable us to manage and administer your contributions to the website, and to contact you regarding your contributions or use of the website. We may also use your information to contact you about updates or changes to the website, shared content that may be of interest to you, or other offers and information related to Fairmont Hotels & Resorts or marketing partners whose products and services may be of interest to you.
We may from time to time use third party service providers to facilitate the operation of the Everyone’s an Original website. As a result, your personal information may be accessed, administered or stored by such third parties to the extent reasonably required for them to perform such services. Some service providers may be located in other jurisdictions that do not have privacy legislation similar to that found in Canada, and information in such jurisdictions may be accessed pursuant to the laws of those countries.
If you have become a member of the President’s Club, you may also use your President’s Club details to register on Everyone’s an Original website instead of a separate registration. If you choose to do so, you consent to the use of personal information you provided in the course of your enrollment in the President’s Club to facilitate such registration, to login to the website and for the purposes described above.
Use of the Everyone’s an Original website is also subject to the Everyone’s an Original Terms and Conditions.
INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US IN COMMUNICATIONS REGARDING SERVICE DELIVERY SUCH AS COMMENT CARDS
Information provided to us in such a fashion will be used solely for the purpose of recording your comments, communicating with you in respect of them, reviewing them with the subject hotel and hotel personnel, for the purposes of recognizing employees for excellence of service delivery and for developing improvements in service delivery.
FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS OFFERS YOU THE ABILITY TO RECEIVE TARGETED, TIMELY NOTIFICATION OF TIME SENSITIVE OFFERS
To sign up for this service we require you to provide us with your e-mail address, first name, last name, language preference, and country of residence. You may unsubscribe at any time using the link provided on every e-mail message and you will no longer receive e-mail offers and promotions for the specified subscription or website, as the case may be. You may at any time in the future opt-in to receive e-mail offers.
BY VISITING ONE OF OUR WEBSITES
We may also evaluate our content and services and tailor our websites, for visitors, based on other information we collect such as IP addresses, which are numbers assigned to your computer whenever you use the Internet, pixel tags (or clear gifs), and the type of Internet browser or operating system you are using. This information is collected in the aggregate, but we may tie it to your personal information through cookie use as described above.
WHY WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
1. To establish and maintain a responsible commercial relationship with you and to provide ongoing service.
2. To understand your needs and preferences. We maintain a record of the products and services you receive from us and we may ask for additional information so that we can serve you better. For example, we may record your preference for type of room.
3. To develop, enhance, market or provide products and services. For example, we look at our guests' use of our services so that we can better understand how to improve our services.
4. To manage and develop our business and operations. For example we analyze guest patterns of usage of our hotels and services to help us manage them efficiently and plan for future growth.
5. To meet legal and regulatory requirements.
WHEN DO WE DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We disclose personal information only in these limited circumstances:
1. We may disclose a guest's personal information to a person who, in the reasonable judgment of Fairmont Hotels & Resorts, is seeking the information as an agent of the guest - for example, a travel agent who is booking a reservation on behalf of the guest.
2. Personal information will be shared with the Fairmont hotel for which your reservation has been made so that they may provide the services you have reserved.
3. Personal information may be shared with other Fairmont hotels so that they may better provide services to you in the event you wish to travel to that Fairmont hotel in the future.
4. Personal information will be shared with a third party involved in supplying the guest with the services they have purchased to the extent necessary to effect the supply and the processing of the transaction.
5. Personal information may be shared with a third party retained by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts to perform functions on its behalf such as reservations handling, data processing or storage, guest surveys or research.
6. Personal information may be shared with an agent retained by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts to evaluate a customer's credit worthiness or in order to collect a customer's account.
7. Personal information may be shared with a public authority or an agent of public authority if in the reasonable judgment of Fairmont Hotels & Resorts it appears that there is an imminent danger to life or property which could be avoided or minimized by disclosure of the information, or which disclosure is compelled by legal authority.
Any such disclosure of a guest's personal information by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts to a third party will be made only on a confidential basis conditioned upon the information being used only for the purpose for which it has been disclosed.
1. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts will not collect, use or disclose your personal information for any other purpose than those identified above, except with your consent.
2. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts will protect your personal information with appropriate security safeguards.
3. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts will take appropriate steps to protect the confidentiality of your personal information when dealing with third parties.
4. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts will strive to keep your personal information as accurate and up to date as is necessary for the purposes identified above.
5. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts will honour your request to access your personal information in as timely fashion as is reasonably possible.
You are always free to refuse to provide personal information to us.
You may also withdraw your consent with respect to the use of your personal information for marketing purposes at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice, by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, using 'Unsubscribe' as the subject line, and providing us sufficient personal identifiers so we can act effectively on your request.
However, in either case, this may limit our ability to serve you.
If you have questions or concerns about our privacy practices or wish to make a request in respect of your personal information please contact our Privacy Officer at email@example.com or if you prefer by writing us at:
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
155 Wellington Street West, Suite 3300,
Attention: Privacy Officer, Law Department
[Rev. 1.12, March 31, 2010]